On 2017-05-11 11:58, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Sat, May 6, 2017 at 7:19 PM, Zdenek Sedlak <d...@apgrco.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am interested to build an EPEL for i686 to support my CentOS 7 AltArch
>> i686 setup.
>>
>> I know you are following RHEL's roadmap and i686 platform is not supported
>> officially, but I am asking how I can start with this and be fully compliant
>> with your processes.
>>
>> Idea 1 - EPEL will connect to CentOS AltArch SIG to support i686 builds to
>> get an official packages.
>>
>> Idea 2 - I will take EPEL 7 SRPMS and build i686 on my own and not use the
>> EPEL name for produced packages, but something else instead (AltPEL, APEL,
>> ...) to not confuse EPEL users.
>>
>> What do you think?
> This has been discussed a LOT. I suggest checking back through the
> list archives and meeting notes for details.
>
> To summarise the problem that needs to be fixed is basically this: EL7
> moves quite a bit faster than older releases and rebases libraries
> quite regularly so often packages need to be rebuilt when a new
> release comes out. Problem is it takes some time for i686/ARMv7 to
> catch up for the core release so we would end up in a situation where
> things could be rebuild against two different versions, when the
> secondary arches catch up they'll then be broken.
>
> The problem is quite well detailed, the problem is those that want the
> fix don't seem to be interested in doing the work to get it. those
> that could do it don't have the time or the interest in those
> architectures on EPEL.
>
> Peter
Thanks for your reply.

So I will search though the lists and also I will start with Idea 2
(already prepared a build host for i686) to give it a try.

Initially, I will need to check how many packages are
architecture-dependent so see how much effort it will require to get a
reasonable output.

Building i686/ARM7 should not be bigger problem if the build setup
supports it.

Got some RPis at home, so I will test and update this thread later...

Regarding the name - if I publish the repository and use AltPEL or APEL,
is it OK for you?

//Zdenek