On Sat, Jun 4, 2022 at 21:17 Manuel Wolfshant <wo...@nobugconsulting.ro>
wrote:

> [...]
>> average one a month, but that's an average over a year, with most of them
>> being last year.
>> > In short, I believe the documentation is better, and easier to find,
>> allowing people to enable crb on their own, without automation.
>> >
>> > 2 - crb isn't an epel repo
>> > We really shouldn't be messing with other repo's that we, epel, don't
>> own.
>> >
>> > 3 - We are taking the choice away from users
>> > After I stopped and thought about it, there are plenty of scenarios
>> where people want epel for just one or two packages, which do not require
>> crb.
>> >
>> > 4 - All the many small side cases.
>> > auto-enabling crb will have bugs.  RHEL and it's clones are in too many
>> odd places for us to not hit some odd use cases we didn't expect.  We'd
>> have to keep fixing the scripts.
>> >
>> > I could go into more explanation on each of those things, but in the
>> end, I've talked myself out of wanting to auto-enable crb for epel8 and
>> epel9.
>> > But I also wanted to get others' thoughts before I close the bug and
>> pull request.
>> >
>> > What do others think?
>> >

>> Let me start with examples that I get *regularly*: Pagure fails to
>> install from EPEL on RHEL/CentOS/Alma/etc. because python3-markdown is
>> not available. KDE Plasma fails to install because of a mass of
>> missing dependencies.
>>

>> To be crystal clear, I would like this fixed for at least the majority
>> of cases and gracefully fail when it can't be fixed.
>>

> The issue is going to be that an RPM which changes outside subscriptions
> will probably be an auditable finding for a lot of sites. It is one of the
> reasons this has been considered bad form in the past and would probably
> cause a lot of requests that it be made optional, removed, OR epel black
> listed. It doesn't matter if we all think that would be a silly finding,
> changes like this are considered security issues at various sites
> especially if for the last 15 years, epel-release has not done something
> like that and so had been 'approved' for use.
>
> At best I could see an optional side package
> `epel-release-enable-other-repo` or some similar name which just has these
> changes and is not pulled in by default and requires epel-release. Thus you
> could tell people to install `epel-release-enable-crb` and would get
> packages and if people have reports of broken packages you tell them to
> install this which will do the correct repo changes.
>

> I really do not want to bash anyone but for _ages_ and I really mean a
> long long time, Ubuntu and Debian know how to be friendly and fail
> gracefully, suggesting the exact command that must be used when a package
> fails to get installed because it is not found. It's not like it is so hard
> to tell the user to run  "dnf config-manager --set-enabled
> $whateverrepoisneeded" or even better continue with " Do you want me to

That is built into how deb and apt are written versus rpm. Doing out put
like this in rpm’s breaks a lot of automation which is built around the
idea that rpm are not saying things like that.

--
Stephen Smoogen, Red Hat Automotive
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.