On Tue, 1 Nov 2022 at 06:59, Nick Howitt via epel-devel <
epel-devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Yesterday, ClamAV announced CVE-2022-37434 as critical (
> https://blog.clamav.net/2022/10/new-packages-for-clamav-01037-01044.html).
> Redhat only seem to classify the issue as Moderate in EL7 -
> https://access.redhat.com/security/cve/cve-2022-37434. It looks like
> that, unless Redhat classify it as Critical, zlib and zlib-devel won't get
> updated so ClamAV can't be rebuilt against the updated zlib-devel. What is
> the EPEL take on the issue?

Well if the EL7 in the base operating system is not getting updated, then
any rebuild by EPEL is not going to see a 'fixed' version. It isn't just
zlib-devel which would need to be fixed but the zlib libraries that clamav
needs to link to on a system.

This problem isn't new and is common when any RHEL reaches its '2 years
until expiration'. We usually see more software where the upstream vendor
believes a problem is critical but the OS vendor does not in the oldest
version. This being a volunteer organization, we generally have to go with
what copious free time allows which is usually nil and nothing.

--
Stephen Smoogen, Red Hat Automotive
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.