On Tue, Mar 7, 2023 at 7:16 PM Carl George <c...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 7, 2023 at 2:18 PM Troy Dawson <tdaw...@redhat.com> wrote:

> EPEL
> not
> RHEL-9.2
> AlmaLinux
> retirement

> rebuilds

> latest release."  or "a few days after RHEL is released."?

> disagree with you.
> >>
> >> I do mean a few days after a RHEL release.  Between the distgit
> >> retirement, compose, and mirror sync delay, the package doesn't become
> >> unavailable for nearly a business week (~5 days).
> >

> > We already know this isn't true.
> > We've had packagers accidentally retire packages early and people get
> hit literally the next day.
>
> Got any examples of this "next day" timing?  The problem in the
> bugzilla linked at the start of this thread was that the retirement
> took place long before the package was in RHEL.  I don't see any
> mention in the bug of observing the lack of the package on the
> mirrors, just discussion spurred by the maintainer commenting that he
> performed the retirement.  Anecdotally I recall there being at least
> several days delay between retirement and the rare complaints about
> the package not being available in EPEL anymore.  If users are
> consistently seeing the effects of a retirement the next day, then of
> course waiting a little bit longer could make sense.
>

> >> Users that already
> >> have the package installed are unaffected.  If a user is using a RHEL
> >> rebuild that hasn't got their release done yet by that point, the only
> >> effect is that the package is unavailable in the EPEL repo, but it's
> >> still available for manual download from Koji or the snapshot
> >> archives.  Harm is far too strong a word for this.  It's a temporary
> >> annoyance that can be resolved by several workarounds, including
> >> switching to a rebuild that gets releases done faster.
> >>
> >> It's important that EPEL packages don't take precedence over RHEL
> >> packages, and you said yourself it's too difficult to continuously
> >> monitor which packages are a lower NVR than their RHEL equivalent and
> >> allow them to stay longer.  EPEL targets RHEL, and we should minimize
> >> any delay of correcting issues that violate the core principle of
> >> EPEL.
> >

> > RHEL has been very good (lately) about their NVR's being higher than
> EPEL's.
> > If that is so, the EPEL packages don't take precedence over RHEL's.
>
> They may not when you first check.  The risk in leaving the branch
> active is that a maintainer may bump the version and/or release and
> start overriding the RHEL package at any given time.  We don't
> currently have a mechanism to freeze the distgit branch but leave the
> package in the repo.  Our current calculus is "if the package is in
> RHEL, it needs to be promptly retired from EPEL".  Leaving packages
> longer means that someone needs to continually check that the
> [...]

Before I dig through all my emails, let me ask if you have got any examples
of EPEL packagers updating a package after RHEL has released it?
(Within a reasonable time frame, which is to say a month after the release)

Beyond the reasoning about timing, here's my other problem.
In the script I'm writing, I can't check if a package has been released by
RHEL, I can only check if a package has been released by Alma and/or Rocky.
It's the same reason that willit is only checking against Alma.
The whole subscription problem.

Troy