Dear all,

I'm proposing that we retire python-django in EPEL 7 and EPEL 8

The versions are really old and no longer supported; see
https://www.djangoproject.com/download/

EPEL 7: 1.11.27
EPEL 8: 2.2.24

There are a lot of CVEs open, and upstream only patch the versions that
are still supported, understandably:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?bug_status=__open__&classification=Fedora&columnlist=product%2Ccomponent%2Cassigned_to%2Cbug_status%2Cshort_desc%2Cchangeddate%2Cbug_severity&component=python-django&order=id%2C%20&product=Fedora%20EPEL&query_format=advanced

For EPEL 8, python-django3 is a suitable replacement:
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/python-django3 - it reaches end of extended
support in April 2024 though.

It tracks the 3.2 LTS branch. python-django4.2 will be made available as
well for Fedora, EPEL 9 and EPEL 8.

I currently don't plan to make a replacement Django available for EPEL
7, but if you need it, please reply to this email.

This proposal is open for discussion for a week, and will be reviewed at
the next EPEL meeting, per
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/epel/epel-policy-retirement/

Best regards,

--