Am Montag, 27. Februar 2006 11:33 schrieb Conor McBride:
> [...]

> Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> [...]

> >While we are at contributions: In which way could a beginning postgraduate
> > who is very much interested in Epigram contribute to it?  I'm currently
> > employed as a teaching assistant at the Brandenburg University of
> > Technology at Cottbus, Germany and want/need to create a PhD thesis.  My
> > professor gave me certain freedom in choosing the topic of my thesis.  So
> > I asked him if something about Epigram would be in his interest and he
> > told me that he is principally open for such a topic.
>
> This is a very good and timely question. There are lots of things to
> think about, most of which go 'how should we treat feature X in
> Epigram?', which tends to decompose into three parts 'how should feature
> X appear to the programmer?', 'how do we model feature X in our type
> theory (extending it if necessary)?' and 'how might the elaborator get
> from one to the other?'. And possibly a fourth 'what has become easy
> which was hard before?'. There's a large collection of candidates for
> feature X, plenty enough to share around: polymorphic stratified
> universes, coinduction, IO, the Partial monad, monads and other notions
> of computation generally, induction-recursion, datatype refinement,
> reflection, generic programming, program specification and derivation,
> linearity, quotients, modules, I could go on and I'm sure others could
> too...

Oh dear, it seems that it took me almost half a year to answer this e-mail.
(But this doesn't mean that I was sleeping during this time.  For example, I
have spent a notable amount of time reading about such nice things as
category theory and type theory—besides my teaching work and a nice two-week
trip to Nottingham ;-).)

What interests me know is whether you or some other person could recommend me
certain papers or whatever which explain the above-mentioned topics to some
degree, give background information, state the state of the art, etc.  For
example, I currently have no clue what polymorphic stratified universes are
(and the only Google hit for this phrase is the mail archive page of the
e-mail I'm just replying to :-) ).

> [...]

> But I think I should probably stop writing here and put more of this on
> a blog page where others can add to it too. There should be some sort of
> space for 'open topics' with useful links and half-ideas. These things
> tend to live in people's heads at the moment, brought out only on the
> back of an envelope in the pub (eg, yesterday's bout of corecursive
> programming down the Vic with Hank which helped things along
> tremendously). I'll get that page going as soon as I can.

Does there exist such a page meanwhile?

> All the best
>
> Conor

Best wishes,