Hi Bas,

thank you - indeed this is a very interesting observation. This was the proof I had in mind when I first claimed that the axiom of choice is provable in OTT. However, I was deluded in believing that OTT/ predicative topoi exactly characterize the theory of the setoid model. As you clearly point out this is not the case. To me this is an incompleteness of the formal system (OTT/predicative topoi) wrt the intended interpretation. This should be fixable, leading to OTT+X or predicative topoi + X which should be complete wrt the setoid model. More categorically we could say that X characterizes the predicative topoi obtained by an exact completion of an LCCC - I think.

Indeed, in the setoid model we can construct a function

        f : A -> [B]
        ------------------
        lift f : [A -> B]

if the setoid A is "trivial", i.e. has the identity as its equivalence relation. The construction is exactly the one you point out & it actually corresponds to my previous informal explanation why this is "not unreasonable":

Note that this is not completely unreasonable: we observe the hidden choice made by f, but we compensate by this by hiding our knowledge.

Which setoids have a trivial equality? Certainly all first order types. However, if we start with an extensional theory (which can be justified with the setoid model) than also higher types N -> N have a trivial equality (indeed the extensional equality here is the "finest" equality). Hence we certainly get considerable more than countable choice.

Actually, instead of using only [..] we can formulate a more general operator for quotient types, given an equivalence relation ~ : B -> B -> Prop, we define ~' : (A -> B) -> (A->B)->Prop as f ~' g = forall a:A.f a ~ g a. We obtain the following generalisation:

        f : A -> B/~
        ---------------------
        lift f : (A -> B)/~'

But hang on - what stops us from doing a Diaconescu? Excluded middle doesn't hold in the setoid model, even though we only get P \/ not P where A \/ B = [A + B]. But this would still require that we have P + not P in the underlying set. So what goes wrong?

We define the type of non-empty subsets of Bool as

NE = Sigma Q : Bool-> Prop.Sigma x:Bool.Q x

We define the equivalence relation of extensional equality of subsets

~ : NE -> NE -> Prop

(Q,_) ~ (R,_) = forall b:Bool.Q b <-> R b

Now we derive:

h : NE/~ -> [ NE ]

which is just the indentity on the underlying elements. The point is that obviously ~ implies the trivial equality of [..].

Now, if we were able to lift h we get

lift h : [ NE/~ -> NE]

Obviously, NE/~ isn't a setoid with a trivial equality!

The Diaconescu argument shows that we can prove for any P:Prop

        H : NE/~ -> NE
        ----------------------
        Dia H : P \/ not P = [P + not P]

and combining the two using bind we get

        (lift h) >>= Dia : P \/ not P

see below for a Epigram 2+n style proof of Dia.

We can also see what goes wrong in general: The principle

        f : A -> B/~
        ---------------------
        lift f : (A -> B)/~'

fails because given the setoid A = (A0,~A) the premise gives us an underlying function f0:A0 -> B (for simplicity we assume that B is trivial) s.t. a ~A b implies f0 a ~B f0 b, where to use the same function to construct an element of A -> B we need to show that a ~A b implies f0 a = f0 b, and there is no reason to believe this - unless ~A is the equality.

The main question is how to characterize abstractly the types A for which lift is valid. Syntactically we could say "All types not containing quotients" but this is not very nice. I'd like a semantic condition for the type.

Cheers,
Thorsten

P.S.
For completeness: Dia itself can be constructed as in the COQ script: we use

        T,F : Bool -> Prop

        T b = (b=true) \/ P
        F b = (b=false) \/ P

by applying H to the equivalence classe <T>,<F> and projecting out the components we get

        t,f : Bool
        t = fst (H <T>)
        f = fst (H <F>)
        snd (H <T>) : t=true \/ P
        snd (H <F>) : f=false \/ P

By analyzing the cases of the propositional components we get two cases in which we can prove P (hence we are done with P \/ not P) and one where we have

        t=true
        f=false

In this case we can prove not P: we assume p:P and using this we can prove T b, F b for any b and hence T b <-> F <b> and therefore <T>=<F> but then t=f and true=false and we have derived a contradiction.