Marx and Henry George got a lot right.  I believe we need some
constructive arguments that take more of modern science into similar
account.  Deep questions remain on such models of thought in use.
Pretty much anything under discussion neglects much that could be
brought into consideration.  We seem to conduct much of argument
without memory coming into the critical frame.
Ideology is not safe in most hands, perhaps not even our own.
Even science leads me to think the killing fields are close again.  We
are not living in peace with homo erectus or the Neanderthals - other
than as assimilated in our gene history.  The problems of 19th century
imperialism have not gone away either,  It's easy to conclude we don't
take enough of human nature into account - most of the time we hear
this it comes with the signature that the speaker has little clue on
human nature.

One argument in current economics is that we don't have 'capitalism'
but more of a hidden politburo rigging markets.  I would say
Berlusconi in Italy could give us clues about how easy a democracy is
to manipulate and this probably translates across the world.

In the end the questions are about just what the 'American Empire' is
really about and quite how we come to justify it.  We have to remember
in this that we do operate under it and consider it better than
trusting the rest of the world not arm and just sweep over us.  This
is true even as we are critical of it.

I don't believe philosophy is much use because human beings have
little general capability in it.