E = mc2 is only a conservation law Nom.  Experiments are proposed on
hydrogen to see if it holds in space.  Mass of protons etc is much
higher than that of the quarks they contain and the Higgs ain't enough
to make the difference.  Inertia and gravity (an illusion in general
relativity) coincidentally get 'proved' in experiments with mass.  I
believe we can now keep an atomic nucleus stable without its electron
shell (with lasers).  We don't know what mass is - though avoid slaps
in the mush with wet fish.

My guess on building mass from energy is to look at photosynthesis - I
believe we can do this artificially - but this would hardly be at the
level of particle physics.  Most of the mass we know is up and down
quarks (2:1 .  1:2 proton/neutron) in today's world (plus electron and
electron neutrino) - conditions do not favour the rest of the standard
model other than photons.

E=mc2 isn't of much interest without adding momentum (p).  That and
the right-angled triangle give the speed of light as a limit.

We have anti-matter for about 15 secs before the containment breaks
down - though it's though to be in space as halos.  Fossil fuels are
all the result of energy to mass conservation - nature knows how to do
it.