When there is no normal matter present (with T = 0), the curvature R
of space-time is
balanced in the following equation in which the scalar curvature R of
space-time obeys:
R =8πG/c3 T +  (theta)
Consequently, when there is no normal matter present (with T = 0), the
curvature
R of space-time is balanced by R = (theta)  . Therefore, there is no
real vacuum in the
universe.

This is from a paper by Ma and Wang mathematically speculating on
gravitational field equations and dark energy and dark matter. Their
new theory suggests that the curvature R is always balanced by
 "theta" (can't print the symbol) in the entire space-time and the
space-time is no longer flat. Entire space-time is curved and is
filled with dark energy and dark matter. In particular, the
discontinuities of R induced by the discontinuities of the energy-
momentum density T , dictated by the Einstein field equations, are no
longer present
thanks to the balance of  "theta".