Unless I am missing something, we should be able to bundle all the
launchers as IUs in the same package, each with the appropriate filters
for os and arch. Then the correct launcher will be selected at install
time. That is something difficult to do with a zip, but should be simple
in p2.

        - Dave

Re: [equinox-dev] [prov] EclipseCon installers

John Arthorne
to:
Equinox development mailing list
02/04/2008 10:33 AM

Sent by:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Please respond to Equinox development mailing list
<equinox-dev@eclipse.org>

I believe we need a different installer per platform (os/ws/arch), since
they will have different launchers, unless there is some known way to
bundle a standalone RCP application that will run on any platform.  As for
EPP packages, the installer works by reading an install description file
that specifies what to install, where to get the bits from, etc.  The
description file is passed to the installer as a system property on the
command line, or in the installer.ini file. Since each EPP package will
just be represented by a different install description file, one could
imagine a single installer with a series of scripts/batch files that pass
in a different property for the description file.  On the other hand, the
installer is currently ~4MB (of which 2MB is SWT), so for simplicity
having a separate installer per EPP per platform could also work.

John

Jeff McAffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
02/04/2008 01:13 PM

Please respond to
Equinox development mailing list <equinox-dev@eclipse.org>

cc

Subject
[equinox-dev] [prov] EclipseCon installers

I forgot to ask during the call.  Can we have one installer per EPP
package?  That is, one installer that would work for multiple platforms
or do we have to have one installer for per EPP per platform?

Jeff