On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 5:53 AM, Jeff McAffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> As version numbers on packages become more prevalent does it start making
> sense to use .qualifier on them in addition to bundle version numbers?  The
> logic here is the same as for bundles.  we rev the version number of the
> bundle to match the most extreme change for that release.  in between if hte
> provisioning system is going to do its job, it needs to have different
> version numbers.  Teh .qualifier allows for the auto-qualification of bundle
> version numbers.  The same is true for folks using import/export package.

 +1

In PDE, I plan on releasing some builder logic to flag exported packages
without versions with a warning in M2. API Tooling also has items in plan
that deal with package versioning, but that will be post M2

> Thoughts for how/if this should be introduced?

I say before M2, we formulate a plan across the Eclipse proper projects to
deal with versions on package exports. We can than look at pushing that plan
to other Eclipse.org projects as a best practice once we get the hang of it.

--
Cheers,

~ Chris Aniszczyk