> Did you say why you cannot install your plugins in a lower start level?

IMHO, reliance on a start levels should be avoided:

- start levels don't scale if you are putting together an application that
combines features created by separate development teams (i.e., Feature A
has startup sequence, Feature B has startup sequence, they might be fine
if mixed together -  or not)

- start levels create rather brittle bootstrap sequences that take an
effort to maintain through releases (from the experience of Equinox)

As to the question of DS, let's not forget that it is just an instrument.
>From what I understand, its goal is to help developers work around OSGi
complexities. If it does not help, it needs to be fixed.

Thanks,
Oleg