----[Please read http://ercoupers.com/disclaimer.htm before following any
advice in this forum.]----



Hi Mike,

Presuming you refer to the later Float and Dial wing tank gauge used in  
later Ercoupes, part. no. 48114 (no longer available), the 2" cork  
float was to be located 3/32" up from the bottom of the wire.  It was  
secured in this position by two AN-960 CUI 3 washers soldered to the  
stainless steel float rod.

You might want to put several coats of clear epoxy on your the new cork  
float (which may be coated with shellac) with before installation.  I  
would solder it in position using washers.  I'm not a big fan of cork  
gaskets for gasoline.  Uninstalled stock shrinks as it dries out with  
age, so fit can be poor to start with.  For gascolators, I like the  
neoprene ones, which give an immediate, leak-tight installation without  
goop.

You are authorized to make certain parts for use on your own aircraft,  
and I would prefer a high quality automotive composition sheet material  
of appropriate thickness to cork.  A high-quality gasket cement should  
be used sparingly on (only) one of the two gasket surfaces.  Its  
purpose is NOT to seal (the gasket alone should do that), but to assure  
identical alignment after removal and replacement during maintenance.   
Mark parts like valve covers before removal so they get reinstalled in  
the same place in the same orientation for maximum gasket life.

Gauge gaskets are easy to make.   Insert a 1/4" handle X-acto knife in  
a cheap compass designed to hold a wood pencil.  First, individually  
cut as many 2-1/2" circles from your sheet material as you want.  Then,  
using the same point hole (maybe with a wood backer as "accuracy  
insurance", cut the 1-1/2" inside holes.  Stack the gasket "blanks"  
with your metal ring on top on a piece of wood you can secure in a  
vise.  Drive a small nail thru two opposing holes (to keep all the  
gaskets aligned on the wood), leaving sufficient nail projecting for  
later removal.  Drill all the open holes.  Place a fine wood screw  
through two opposing drilled holes to keep the gaskets aligned.  Remove  
the two nails, drill the holes where they were to size, and you're  
done.

Regards,

  William R. Bayne
<____|-(o)-|____:>
  (Copyright 2004)

--  

On Nov 3, 2004, at 7:40 AM, Mike Watts wrote:

> ----[Please read http://ercoupers.com/disclaimer.htm before following  
> any advice in this forum.]----
>
>
> I am in the process of refurbishing my wing tank gauge fuel gauge  
> (while I already had the tanks off for something else). I bought the  
> new "bubble" sight glass, a cork gasket and a new cork float from  
> Univair. I cleaned the numbers up on the gauge and everything looks  
> good. Now, I have 2 questions:
>
> 1.) I need another cork gasket for between the gauge and the sight  
> glass (the other one is for between the gauge and tank). Since I only  
> received one from Univair I would like to make another one. I wonder  
> if that "make-a-gasket" cork gasket sheets that you can buy at the  
> Auto Parts store would be okay (and just use the one from Univair as a  
> template)? If not, I guess I could just have another one sent  
> overnight to me from Univair.
>
> 2.) I purchased a new cork from Univair and was wondering if it would  
> be okay to use some epoxy to hold it on the wire arm since I had to  
> destroy the lockwasher that was holding on the old cork. I have the 30  
> minute two-part epoxy like you buy at a craft store and mix together  
> the resin and the hardner. Has anybody used this stuff for this  
> purpose and is it fuel-proof?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike Watts
> 1949 Ercoupe 415-G
>
> ======================================================================= 
> =======
> To leave this forum go to: http://ercoupers.com/lists.htm
> Search the archives on http://escribe.com/aviation/coupers/
>
>
>
>

==========================================================================
====
To leave this forum go to: http://ercoupers.com/lists.htm
Search the archives on http://escribe.com/aviation/coupers/


<<attachment: winmail.dat>>

Reply via email to