From today's San Jose Mercury News:

------

COLD WEATHER TIPS

*Cold* *weather* *exposure* and "frostnip" the precursor to frostbite can occur in a few minutes when temperatures are in the 30s and 40s.

*Bacteria* and other microorganisms are found in new snow, so it should not be consumed.

*Infants* can't shiver to get warm, so it's important to keep them bundled up.

*Certain* *medications* can interfere with your body's temperature regulation.

*Drinking* *alcohol* can cause your body to lose heat.

------

It's easy to laugh at these (I know I did), but you do have to remember that this is a place where no one owns a sweater. Yeah, the Californians are bristling right now saying, "we do, too!" but if they showed them to any New England mother, she'd say, "That's not a sweater! Go back to your room and put a sweater on!" I own sweaters, but they've been sitting in the upper reaches of a closet for a decade now.

        Jon