Gentlefolk,

The reactor for a nuclear powered aircraft still sits cooling down out in the
barrens Idaho National Engineer Laboratory (INEL; it's vast, mostly
unpopulated, and is where, among other things, the damaged core of the
Three-mile Island plant came to rest).

I was told that what killed the project was the inability to find a
mass-effective solution to backscatter of thermal neutrons.  They last for
about 20 minutes, they get out in the exhaust, and bounce back off the
atmosphere into the cockpit.  The same problem applies to nuclear powered
launch vehicles.

The original Walt Disney Tomorrowland moon rocket was designed as a nuke; but
with a chemical boost engine; the idea was to pop it out of the atmosphere
before running propellant through the reactor.

IMHO, now that there are practical ways of transferring nuclear-generated
energy (lasers, microwaves, mass beams) from where it is generated to where
it is needed, I think the best place for nuclear reactors is behind a lot of
mass--on the ground or in a nice stable orbit.  Deep space auxilliary power,
of course, is another matter.

--Best, Gerald