There are many benefits, some of which are critical, for SSTO.  Given
multiple engines (16+, say), it allows differential throttling, which
eliminates the need for any gimballing.  Assuming your mass fraction
is about 95%, upon landing you could shut down 12 of the engines, and
throttle down the remaining 4 engines for landing/manuvering.

Assuming your engines are capable of some excess thrust, you would
be able to shut down a bad engine, and its counterpart, and throttle
up the remaining 14 engines to compensate.

The key to making use of these benefits will be making the T/W of
the smaller engines comparable to a few larger ones.

Back to the original post - there is really no benefit to multiple
catpack chambers - the area of the catpack is fixed somewhat by
the thrust needed and catpack life desired.  Anything with multiple
catpack chambers would just add to the weight of the engine.

Dan