At 12:06 AM 10/29/2002 -0800, Sean R. Lynch wrote:
On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 00:05, Pierce Nichols wrote:

> See my original idea, and delete the idea of making a compound
> catalyst. Catalogue oxide/base metal pairs with attractive properties, make
> samples, and test them.

Sounds good to me, as long as you still mean to preheat them. Even
silver is a bad catalyst when cold. Of course, I'm looking for specific
materials rather than a methodology here :)

I mean to find one that works at high temperatures (i.e. doesn't melt) and does not require pre-heating. I'm afraid that's probably a snipe hunt, so I'm willing to accept pre-heating if necessary, and test catalysts with the presumption that it might be. I don't know of a good material for this purpose, but I think it's probably a transition metal oxide, for the reasons I outlined. On a higher level, my goal is the same as yours -- find specific materials that fit the requirements. However, I think we need at least a basic methodology for getting that information, because it isn't available elsewhere.

-p

Mars or Bust!
www.marssociety.com