At 09:26 AM 11/1/2002 -0800, you wrote:
On Fri, 01 Nov 2002 08:16:06 -0800, Doug Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I kinda get the impression that once the cat bed is warmed by a previous
>pulse, subsequent ones should not have significant uncatalyzed
>throughput, and PWM throttling keeps the bed hot.

Good point.  If we can assume the ambient temperature is above
freezing - and for POGO, I think we can - than all we're talking about
is cold peroxide's lag time.  And I think Doug's right: if we put
peroxide into a hot engine, I don't care how cold it is, it isn't
going to have any lag time.

>What's wrong with
>simply giving each engine a few 50 ms pulses ten or twenty seconds
>before liftoff?

Armadillo did that with Spider.  I don't recall if it was a warmup
pulse, or just to verify the engines worked, but it's a good idea.

-R
Cold peroxide does make some difference even with a hot pack. There are also reports in the literature about peroxide being COMPLETELY unreactive with silver packs at 30 F, so you can't even warm it with pulses.

John Carmack