<< It's got a full tank of nitrogen and/or peroxide between it and the
engine; hard to see how valve chatter pressure waves would survive
undamped through all that gas/liquid.  Also wouldn't the chatter be
above several Hz? >>

   To damp, something has to absorb energy.  If there's nothing in the system
that can respond to a given wavelength, the frequency is transmitted.  Some
combinations of tanks, structure, and propellant load can actually  "ring" at
just the wrong frequency, exaggerating rather than damping, certain
vibrations.  Tight structures tend to ring at higher frequencies.  Rubber
washers compress and rarefact nicely at the frequencies of interest
(generally low sonic to infrasonic).
   Chatter at high frequencies might also be a lifetime issue because of
fretting corrosion.
   Apologies for dipping in and out of the flow of this--life has gotten
busy.  I'll miss the meeting tonight--going to Oregon this evening.  I've
emailed the Ames/Moffett people, no response yet.  Will try again.

--Best, Gerald