Learn to hand grind tools! At low HP a carbide insert will just work harden 316
SS. You can hand grind a 3/8" bit in 45 seconds, a little longer with higher
cobalt percentage. I have used both carbide inserts and carbide on a stick as well
as high speed steel bits and I'd say that on single phase lower powered machines
you will do better with High speed steel.
For aluminum and brass, I highly recommend PCD (diamond) tool bits! They are about $45 each, but they make a HUGE difference. They allowed me to machine many things that were really far too large for my little Sherline tools. On Russ's big lathe, cut depth is only limited by the length of the brazed diamond. The finish is great, too.

    John; What kind of welding equipment are you using?
We have the largest TIG welder that didn't require water cooling. It is borderline for welding half inch aluminum, requiring some stops for cooling.

John Carmack