On Sunday, February 2, 2003, at 04:23 PM, Pierce Nichols wrote:

The Chrysler SERV proposal used a system of large, bolt-on ablative panels. Something similar would work well for a DC-X style future vehicle.

One of the other proposals from the heyday of paper SSTOs had a metallic water cooled TPS (Sorry, don't remember the name of the ship). This has always seemed to me like a good idea. A bit heavier than ablative, but refurb simply consists of refilling the water tanks. I assume you'd exhaust steam across the surface of the TPS to get the most use out of it.

......Andrew