Randall Clague wrote:
> David Masten wrote:
> > Weather and seasons are a little different for those of us that
> > go to the high desert for flying. Summer is not a good time to fly
> > ("but it's a dry heat" "105 is damn hot, I don't care if the
> > humidity is only 4%!").
>
> 105 F isn't hot for Mojave.  125 F is hot for Mojave.  :-0

105 F ambient is bearable. Any enclosed space with a delta-T from
solar radiation _above_ such an ambient tends to exceed my personal
limits for effective functional behavior. (I was wondering why trying
to repack my sleeping bag in my tent seemed so strenuous at DairyAire 2001 -
then I saw the outside air temp display in Dave M's car (about 104 F or so)
and the matter was clarified!)

As I understand it, Project Mercury astronauts endured higher temperatures
than that post-splashdown, but they didn't need to _do_ much beyond sit there
and wait for pickup at that point.

-dave w