Gentlefolk

<<...less mass == [presumably] less chance of casualties per launch, even if
that means you launch more often to launch the same total mass>>

My thought is that this is scenario dependent, both on the technology and the
insurance pool arrangements.

As a military guy, I'm aware that, with a given mass of bombs, one can damage
more area with a number of small bombs than with a single big one, because
the radius of destruction goes as the cube root of the mass/energy available but
only as the square root of the area to be destroyed.

However, a small enough vehicle may not crash with enough force to reach
certain thresholds of damage applicable to big vehicles (busting underground gas
lines, for instance).

Also, if one considers that, for an individual insurer, the first calamity of
any size would end the insurance exposure, the smaller the better.  So an
individual insurer might prefer the smaller vehicles, whereas bigger ones might
result in less payout for the industry as a whole.  The preference then depends
on arrangements to share the risk across the pool of insurers.

--Best, Gerald