On Fri, 30 May 2003, Randall Clague wrote:
> ...Impact speed was
> about 25 mph, and it stove in my grille about a foot.  That's 21 g,
> and I was wearing my seat/chest belt.  Good thing, or I'd have hit the
> steering column with my sternum.  As it was, it HURT.  My ribs ached
> for days...

Volvo, I think it was, once had a nice (print) ad emphasizing their safety
features.  The visual was an attractive young woman in a bikini, with a
two-inch-wide black-and-blue bruise running diagonally from one shoulder
to waist level.  Probably staged, but it made the point...

> And that's only 21 g.  You want to have the passengers take 50?

No fun at all, but unlikely to be lethal if quite brief.  The survival
limit is thought to be 175-200G (!), although anything anywhere near
that tends to involve serious injury.

The plots in Bioastronautics Data Book, 2nd ed, suggest keeping it below
45G for delta-V in excess of 30ft/s, with about 25G the limit for delta-V
above around 80ft/s.  Those are best-guess values for avoiding serious
injury -- the immediately-lethal levels are much higher -- for +Gx
(rearward-facing impact), accompanied by caveats that the +Gx case in
particular is poorly explored.

                                                          Henry Spencer