At 05:33 PM 6/23/2003 -0400, Alex Fraser wrote:
Although not as fancy these have been used for years. If I remember correctly they were called "injector" pumps. I learned of them in the Merchant Marine, but I seem to remember some railroad references of it being used to suck water out of streams to get water for the engine.

Jah, they're called steam injectors. This tech is clearly a first cousin of the steam injector, but it differs in a couple of important ways that make it far more powerful and efficient. First, the steam is injected into the flow through a supersonic nozzle. Second, it explicitly takes advantage of steam condensation to transfer the thermal energy of the steam to kinetic energy of the fluid flow. Can't see any others quite as major as those, but I'm sure they are there.

-p

Mars or Bust! www.marssociety.com