On Mon, 3 May 2004, John Carmack wrote:
> ...Jupiter, not Vanguard:
> ...Large perforated cylinders with sealed spheres (commode floats) were
> floated in the tank...

Hmm, from that wording I'm not quite sure of the exact configuration of
this cylinder-sphere combination, but it's clearly not just a floating
sphere.

> ...4. Development of slosh baffles that became an integral part of the
> structural stiffening ring, saving weight over the floating (beer) cans.

Ah yes, this sounds like the orthodox type of slosh baffle, fixed rings
inside the tank wall.  (The main wart is that they're effective mostly
when they're near the level of the liquid surface, so you need them at
intervals all the way down the interior of the tank.  This is less of an
issue if you can take advantage of them for structural strength...)

                                                          Henry Spencer