If I remember the RS-232 spec correctly, the input
range goes from +/- 3V (min) to +/- 12V (max).  The
level comparator in the typical RS-232 receiver is
running at about 1 or 1.5 V, so you can get away with
quite alot.  The drives/receivers are inverters, so
you might check to see if your signal is inverted as
some people use the non-inverted RS-232 signal for
communicating on-board.