On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> ...At one time it was envisioned that an international agency under UN
> auspices would be created to police interplanetary
> development (and I've made reference to such an agency in some of my
> fiction).  Where that stands now, I have no idea.

The creation of such an organization was explicitly envisioned by the
infamous "Moon Treaty".  However, said treaty is effectively dead, since
no spacefaring nation has ratified it -- pretty much the last act of the
dying L5 Society was to derail US ratification, at the very last minute --
and it seems unlikely to resurface.

                                                          Henry Spencer