Randall Clague wrote:

At 06:58 PM 10/12/2004 -0700, David Weinshenker wrote:

One would think that an airbag actuator would fall within the definition
of a "propellent actuated device" ("specialized mechanical device or gas
generator system that releases or directs work by means of a propellant
charge"), and as such would be exempt from 27 CFR part 555 "Commerce in
Explosives" by the action of the exemption at 27 CFR 555.141(a)(8)

Dave, you beat me to it. For those who haven't rushed out and checked 27 CFR 555.141(a)(8), it exempts propellant actuated devices from regulations under Part 555 (Commerce In Explosives) (which BTW is the only Part in Subchapter C, Explosives) along with gasoline and fertilizer.

I also found the current Explosives List, though, at 69 FR 16958, and I find no mention of air bag actuators. Mind you, I don't know what's *in* them, but I share Dave W's belief that they're PADs, and therefore exempt.

Most airbag propellants are sodium azide, which itself is on the List (or was, as of a couple years ago). This material is related to the lead azide used in some brands of ammunition primers; it is a shock sensitive primary explosive.

However, ISTM that if BATFE wants to go after someone on this one, they should start with the car makers, who are distributing this explosive willy-nilly to unlicensed individuals, including many who are legally disabled (via prior felony convictions) from possessing explosives.

Bottom line: if the government's ability to arrest anyone, any time were ever in question, it shouldn't be now.

--
I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
                                                    -- E. J. Fudd, 1954

Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
Lathe Building Pages  http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages     http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm