The list works, but I think everyone is on vacation! It's been a bit quiet and the last message was something about a list problem where the body of email messages wasn't getting through.

Anyone been following developments in pulse detonation engines? As a quick primer a PDE is an engine that rather than deflagrate (subsonic burn) it detonates (supersonic burn) the fuel /air mixture, which provides a much higher efficiency and a larger operating speed range.

At one point ISSI was touring and doing taxi tests with their PDE demonstrator attached to a long-ez: http://www.innssi.com/pde.aspx Their engine weighed 800 lbs, and had 150 lbs of thrust. Those numbers need to be inverted for the engine to provide adequate flight power to a long-ez. The most interesting thing about the engine though is that it's built of automotive parts. It's basically a grand-am cylinder head bolted to stainless steel tubing (http://www.innssi.com/images/pde03/AIAA2001-1129.pdf). It doesn't seem like much has happened with their project since then, so I was curious what the current state of practical application of the technology was. Also curious if there was anyone working on PDE power plants around the bay area.

-- Greg