Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
> I thought it was Peter Deutsch who originally said "you can cheat if you
> don't get caught." regarding Smalltalk implementations

I think the source of the attribution to Ingalls is this paper:

The Smalltalk-76 Programming System - Design and Implementation
Daniel H. H. Ingalls
<http://users.ipa.net/~dwighth/smalltalk/St76/Smalltalk76ProgrammingSystem.html>

# Efficient Message Handling
# It should be obvious that to carry the message sending metaphor down into
# integer arithmetic will result in a slow system on any non message
# oriented computer. The implementor must cheat, but not get caught. In
# other words, the user of the system should not perceive any
# non-uniformity.

It is possible that Deutsch said it earlier, of course.

--
David-Sarah Hopwood