Aaron Gray wrote:
Hi,
I have been beginning to read the ML reference implementation and have a few basic questions.
 What is REPL and what does it stand for ?
 What is a RIB and does it stand for anything ?
 What are FIXTURES ?

REPL stands for "read, eval, print loop". It's lisp slang for "interactive programming-language prompt".

Yes I found that one, cheers :)

A "fixture" (in ES4-ese) is a fixed property -- either of a scope, an object type, or a class -- known at definition-time. A "rib" (in ES4-ese) is a static map from names to fixtures. It's not an acronym.

Okay, I get that now. Strange terms.

This is all written up in the last draft of the ES4 proto-speclets. But at this point it doesn't matter.

Considering how much of the ES4 design is now either permanently off the table or in "indefinitely deferred" status awaiting re-appraisal in the future ES-harmony effort, I'd recommend *against* reading the existing ES4 RI. It's more likely to confuse than to illuminate. Probably we should take the links to it down, at least for the time being.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

No I should have joined the mailing list sooner than I did !

Its a great shame I was very looking forward to the pre harmony ES4.

I have been reading Tamarin source on and off for a couple of months or so, and had just started with the RI.

Luckily for me I am only really interested on an academic level and seeing how far static/dynamic language divide can be pushed.

Looks like order and attribution problems of text based scripting languages in general. Had ECMAScript progressed onto a binary bytecoded distribution format like ActionScript then maybe these problems could have been solved, but then I am forgetting ES3.1.

Order dependance is a difficult one.

Many thanks for the reply,

Aaron