On Mar 23, 2009, at 7:04 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: es-discuss-boun...@mozilla.org [mailto:es-discuss-
boun...@mozilla.org] On Behalf Of Brendan Eich
Sent: Monday, March 23, 2009 6:39 PM
It should be Literal, not PrimaryExpression. There is no technical
difference (since Literal is only used as one of the alternatives
for PrimaryExpression), but it's just common sense that a
RegularExpressionLiteral is a literal.

Agreed, presumably Allen agrees too. It's obvious now that you point
it out ;-).

Homefully I'm relatively agreeable...Strictly speaking RegularExpressionLiteral is now semantically more like an ArrayLiteral or an Object literal

Those are still called Array Initialiser and Object Iniitialiser, right? Not to belabor the point, but they aren't literals in the same sense, although Object Initialiser's property names are literals (constants). These are expression forms with evaluated terms inside the bracing.

in that one of them evaluates to a different object each time it is executed.

That's true, but it doesn't make a literal what it is, in the grammatical sense.

However, I don't think it actually makes much of a difference whether it is a Literal or a PrimaryExpression and since I'm certainly not proposing that we move it from section 7 to section 11 at this point in time it probably makes more sense to say it is a Literal.

Cool. That does seem like the minimal change, and it seems worthwhile also to keep Literal meaning "lexeme".