On Jun 17, 2009, at 3:34 PM, Mark S. Miller wrote:

I suspect we'll see some de-facto stuff come out of one or two vendors who aren't active in TC39 (Apple, Google V8).

Google is quite active in TC39. Google's representatives to TC39 (including me) are now in close coordination with our v8 team. However, v8 remains committed to following WebKit. Fortunately, AFAIK, WebKit has not yet taken any stance on whether [[Prototype]] will be mutable in their ES5 implementation. Maciej?

Your phrasing of the question strikes me as odd, because changing behavior of de facto extensions like this seems orthogonal to supporting a new version of the spec. If getting rid of or restricting mutable __proto__ turns out to be feasible and a good idea, then we would not tie it to implementation timeline for ES5 features.

As to the substantive issue: mutable __proto__ is something we would prefer not to have, but we are concerned about the compatibility issues. We look forward to hearing about Mozilla's experience with changing it.

Personally, I think leaving "distasteful" but cross-browser features like this out of the spec in the hopes that they will wither away from neglect is a poor approach. If browsers feel pressured to implement such extensions for Web compatibility then we are not doing anyone any favors by leaving them in the domain of mutual reverse-engineering. I would prefer to see such features explicitly specified (with suitable restrictions) or explicitly forbidden, and perhaps explicitly deprecate them with the plan for further limits or outright removal in future versions of the spec. But it seems too late to make big changes in this regard for ES5. Maybe in the next version.

Regards,
Maciej