On 2009-06-18, at 04:06EDT, Brendan Eich wrote:

Nevertheless, I'm pleased to report that our v8 folks agree that if Mozilla does this and does not back off because of compatibility problems, they will do so as well. Thanks for being brave enough to jump into this pool first!

Water's fine, really!

Client data point: OpenLaszlo's class system relied on writable __proto__ back in the day. We eliminated that dependency about 4 years ago to make our code more portable across browsers (and in anticipation of utilizing "real" classes for runtimes that supported them, such as Actionscript 3 and the late Javascript 2).