I noticed in the ECMA 5 draft that String#replace references
String#match's handling of regexp.lastIndex
when the regexp is flagged global. According to the draft String#match
sets the regexp.lastIndex when the regexp is global.

All of this is identical to ECMA-262 Edition 3.

Currently Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera do not set the lastIndex on
String#match

Yes they do. Leaving aside whatever happens during the matching process (since it's unobservable to users), String#match called with a "global" RegExp always starts searching from index 0 and the RegExp's lastIndex is always 0 after after the method is complete. (That is, except in IE, which has the bug you mentioned where lastIndex is not always 0 after a match or replace using a "global" regex is complete.)

This should alert 0, demonstrating that the browsers you mentioned do update lastIndex:

var x = /x/g;
x.lastIndex = 1;
"x123x5".match(x);
alert(x.lastIndex);

or String#replace.
IE does set the lastIndex but only once, not during each internal
iteration of `Repeat, while lastMatch is true`, and for non-global
regexp's as well.

According to spec I would expect:

var s = '0x2x4x6x8';
var p = /x/g;
s.replace(p, function() { alert(p.lastIndex)  }); // A: alerts 2, then
4, then 6, then 8
alert(p.lastIndex); // B: alerts 0 because internal exec returned null
(which set lastIndex 0) triggering the end of the iteration;

// IE7