These are certainly idioms, especially the first test (as in "kick the bucket", something an ES3 programmer could not understand based on the terms in the code alone, only by also reading the ES5 spec or a book based on it). Do they deserve sugar?

To me this would be something that should be sugar'd simply because it will be so common. It would be nice not to end up with 100 different ways of testing for ES5 strict mode support like we have today for testing an Array.

Also, this would clearly convey to the casual developer that you expect them to branch their code in some cases when trying to maintain backwards compatibility.

I would think the most useful test would be "is strict mode available" not "am I currently strict" since you can assume the later from the former but not the reverse.

I suppose we could always just use browser sniffing. ;-)

-Charles