I hadn't thought about freeze affecting all other values on the object. I agree that is not desirable.

Still, having separate object types for mutable and immutable objects introduces a new pattern to JS. Why not follow the pattern used for freeze(), seal() and preventExtension()? Here's another alternative as an example:

Data.preventEdits(foo);
  - makes editable data not editable

Data.isEditable(foo);
 - returns true if editable

foo.copy();
- returns a copy of foo, matching editable state. If foo is not editable, may return foo

foo.editableCopy();
 - returns an editable copy of foo, regardless of editable state

Incidentally this API above could be implemented using separate object types as you suggest by making DataBuilder an extension of Data. This would be an implementation detail though rather than a fundamental part of the API.

-Charles