On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 11:18 AM, Allen Wirfs-Brock
<allen.wirfs-br...@microsoft.com> wrote:
>>   Function.prototype.toString ->
>> s/FunctionDeclaration/FunctionExpression.
>
> This is not an error.  FunctionDeclaration is intentional and is traceable
> back to the ES1 spec.  There was discussion on this topic on es-discuss but
> there was no clear consensus on making this specific change or any of the
> alternatives that were discussed.

It was discussed and the specification states that a representation of
a FunctionDeclaration is returned. This is not an editorial bug, but a
specification of behavior that implementations violate, with reason,
and will continue to violate in the case of anonymous functions:

var fString = (function(){}).toString();

None of the major implementations return a FunctionDeclaration
representation. Are all implementations wrong or is the spec wrong?

I don't want to go on like a broken record, reiterating the same
arguments. It seems this issue could go on a bug tracker where it
could either be accepted or marked INVALID.

>>   Error instances have a message property, but it is not specified (as
>> mentioned previously)
>
> This is not an error, the 'message' property is defined in 15.11.4.3 as a
> property of Error.prototype (which all defined error instances inherit from)
> and 15.11.1.1 and 15.11.2.1 makes it clear that the message value specified
> when creating an error object is used to set the own 'message' property of
> the new object (and hence over-rides the inherited 'message' property.
> Arguably, it would be more consistent with the organization of the rest of
> Chapter 15 if 'message' and 'name' were defined in 15.11.5 but that would not
> change any actual requirements defined by the specification.  This is neither
> a technical issue nor a actual editorial 'bug' (such as a misspelling) so it
> really doesn't belong in the ES5 errata. (The purposwe of the errata is to
> list actual unintended bugs in the document, not to serve as the first
> working draft of the next edition).

Error instance properties:
I see where Error message instance is set when the Error constructor is called.

I also agree that it would be clearer to have `message` and `name`
mentioned in 15.11.5 compared to what is there now:

| 15.11.5 Error instances have no special properties.

Sounds like there is an Errata document in the works. Will that be
published on ecma-international.org?

I was not proposing the RegExp or top level Array generics go in an
Errata document -- that's not what was meant. They are interesting and
useful proposals, though, along with catchalls proposal.