On May 14, 2010, at 7:27 AM, Chris Marrin wrote:

> On May 13, 2010, at 10:21 PM, Alex Russell wrote:
>
>> On May 13, 2010, at 5:15 PM, Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:
>>
>>> This is difficult to do, given the goals of typed arrays -- they wouldn't
>>> behave like normal Arrays in most meaningful ways.
>>
>> Sounds like a bug to be fixed ;-)
>>
>>> At the core, an ArrayBuffer is of fixed size, and it doesn't make sense to
>>> index an ArrayBuffer directly (because there's no indication of what format
>>> the data should be accessed in). Making the array view types instances of
>>> Array might work, but again given that they're fixed length, there's a
>>> significant difference there.
>>

>> That the length property of a particular array subclass leaves the
>> constructor non-configurable and read-only isn't much of a trick in ES5.
>> That said, why *doesn't* TypedArray spec a mutable variant? Surely it'd be
>> useful.
>
> One of the important aspects of ArrayBuffer is its fixed length. As I
> mentioned before, perhaps the issue here is the poor naming (using "Array" in
> the names of objects that don't behave in the same way as the ES Array
> object). The names can be changed but I think we need the concept of a fixed
> length buffer with fixed views into it.

Yes, yes, I get that everyone with a C buffer they want to expose to JS wants a
variant of ArrayBuffer that's fixed. But what I'm arguing for is that we can
keep everything rational (instead of adding a "host object", committee speak
for "alien weirdo") by making one type of ArrayBuffer (FixedArrayBuffer?) have
a fixed length but *also* support a mutable length ArrayBuffer. Not exclusive,
but in parallel and in a way that allows all of this to have a rational class
hierarchy.

Regards

--
Alex Russell