On 10/14/2010 08:29 AM, Brendan Eich wrote:
Thus there is already one bit of opt-in versioning state in ES5, which must be
carried from direct eval's caller to callee.

SpiderMonkey currently does this, but fairly shortly (I have patches) it will
not.  The eval *function*'s implementation will always perform indirect eval,
and only the eval opcode will perform direct eval.  (We could statically
distinguish strict+direct from non-strict+direct, too, with a separate opcode,
but since it's trivial to query the currently executing script's strictness,
runtime detection seems better than burning an opcode.)

That's only SpiderMonkey, of course, but as far as I can tell the concepts are
applicable to any ECMAScript implementation.

Jeff