On Nov 22, 2010, at 12:39 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:

> On Nov 22, 2010, at 12:09 PM, Oliver Hunt wrote:
>>
>> How do library authors help?  They can't add value enumeration of anything
>> as that will break any existing code that uses for(in) over any of their
>> objects.
>
> As Tom pointed out (re-read his message :-|), they can make enumeration work
> for large/lazy/infinite objects. No non-string non-keys required.

The important point here is that for-in won't choke old browsers. New library
code in the near term (when Harmony and pre-Harmony impls are in the field),
assuming we let for-in be metaprogrammed in Harmony, can object-detect and
meta-program for-in, and client *and* library code can use for-in and it will
fail soft or fall back by other means.

Not so if we add new syntax (for-: or anything old browsers will choke on).