On Feb 14, 2011, at 8:40 AM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> On 2/14/11 11:31 AM, Mark S. Miller wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 2:47 AM, Adam Barth <w...@adambarth.com
>> <mailto:w...@adambarth.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    That's a pretty long time horizon.  You're going to start discussing
>>    it in 2-4 months?  That seems a bit overwrought for what amounts to
>>    four lines of code.
>
> For what it's worth, it's a lot more than 4 lines of code in Gecko, because
> we don't have an existing source of strong randomness in Spidermonkey.  It'd
> be about that much code in the DOM, where we could pass the buck to NSS, but
> for Spidermonkey it would take a good bit more work.

Not really. We use callback-style APIs to delegate such chores as l10n to the
embedding, and the same can be done for randomness-hunting. It's just
interfacing, or buck-passing -- but I'm still wondering what magical four lines
of code provide useful lower bounds on bits of entropy in WebKit. Is this just
non-interoperable delegation to the host OS?

Adam, I like moving fast (but beware, that's how JS and the DOM were created),
but we need a cross-browser spec of some kind, even if we all add
crypto.getRandomValues quickly. The original y2k-buggy,
cloned-from-java.util.Date JS Date object of 1995 required a lot of work for
ES1 to remove OS dependencies that made for interop hell.

For a core language standard, we would want some kind of minimum quality
guarantee on the randomness.

Quick thought on the name: to avoid vagueness and the "why not wider int or
even float element type" questions that have already come up, call the method
getRandomBytes.