I don't know about insertion order being important, but certainly it's
natural to want to express order with object literals (or equivalently,
JSON).  If we can't rely on enumeration order matching key ordering in the
literal, then the programmer has to express that ordering twice:  once
implicitly in the literal and once explicitly through whatever data
structure is chosen to represent that order.  There would seem to be some
(seemingly) unnecessary repetition going on there, from the programmer's
point of view.