Hi,

_Foreword_
Each time I write "setTimeout", I mean "setTimeout and setInterval (and
there clear functions)" (please forgive the recursive flaw)

_Introduction_
Before the concurrency proposal
(http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:concurrency), a pure
ECMAScript program had a start and an end, that was it. No event loop,
no asynchronous callback, etc.
If ECMAScript standardizes this proposal or another, there will be a
need to standardize an event loop in a way or another. Adding a timing
aspect to this event loop and setTimeout can be standardized in ECMAScript.

_Current_standardization_state_
setTimeout isn't part of ECMAScript. setTimeout is nonetheless
standardized as part of "HTML Standard"
(http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/timers.html#timers).
Besides the "task" dependency (which is part of the standardized
event-loop in the same document:
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/webappapis.html#concept-task),
this is more or less ECMAScript.

_Current_use_
As anyone will have certainly noticed, setTimeout has no reason to be
considered as client-side web specific. And, as a matter of fact, there
is a setTimeout in node.js and in ActionScript apparently. I wouldn't be
surprised if most (if not all) ECMAScript-based languages had a
setTimeout function consistently.

For all these reasons, I am wondering if setTimeout wouldn't be had
being standardized in ECMAScript itself.

_How?_
I currently see two main tracks:
* Standardize it as it is.
* Standardize a more powerful mecanism and standardize setTimeout as an
implementation based on this mecanism. If setTimeout had been considered
as not flexible enough by some people, this could be an occasion to fit
their use case (I personnally have no suggestion on the matter)
I am not familiar with promises, but after reading a bit about it and
seeing a presentation on the topic, I intuit that it may not be very
difficult to add a timing aspect to it based on which setTimeout could
be implemented.

_Advantages_
* As said, it could be an occasion to fix flexibility issues that people
would find to setTimeout
* Define a strict mode behavior to it. Currently, people can pass
strings as first argument to setTimeout. There is currently a spec hole
in what happens in strict mode for setTimeout.
I would be in favor to throw an exception if people use strings in
setTimeout in strict mode (maybe it's too late to suggest that since FF4
ships in less than a week?).Anyway, there is room for other ideas like
standardizing strict eval for strings as first argument in strict mode.
My main goal is to discuss the issue.

I haven't found any trace of previous discussion of this topic. Has
there been any?

David