On Mar 18, 2011, at 6:44 PM, Shabsi Walfish wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Brendan Eich <bren...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> In support of Robert's point, we have Firefox Sync [1], which client-side
> encrypts many blocks of user data (not just passwords; cookies, history,
> etc.) to hide it from our own (or an alternative; the server is open source)
> sync service.
>
> This needs native speed, which we provide via privileged-JS-only (our
> so-called "chrome" user-interface JS) access to our native crypto module
> (NSS). The volume in blocks and bytes requires it. Using pure-JS crypto
> lowers performance an order of magnitude or two.
>
> I'm not convinced that you need native speed even for this (and its a bit
> specialized, since it lives in the browser chrome). It sounds like you are
> talking about a few MB of data, at most.

Sorry, no. I'm telling you our product requirements, not soliciting
unquantified speculation. Users have tons of data (think all-tabs session
histories). Users do not like waiting. We have to hide sync in the existing
schedule, so megabytes do add up.

> Native code could probably do that in something like 10 or 20 ms, and even if
> you are slower by an order of magnitude you can do it in 200 ms

I wrote "or two".

> To your point about the API being "best, most current" crypto-standard (for a
> given key size, perhaps): that is usable but often in our modern era, JS
> clients must chat with JS server peers using precisely *this* or *that*
> crypto protocol. So I imagine we'll need both kinds of APIs: best-latest and
> exactly-this.
>
> Hence you can allow for versioning and backwards compatibility, like most
> protocol APIs do.

Again, sorry: no. We are not sync'ing ES.next or ES.whatever to *every*
protocol and crypto-protocol out there in any future epoch. We can't hope to
guess. Instead we would decouple as current, hardcoded-in-C++, distributed in
browsers modules do: provide certified and well-thought of algorithms.

Ideally it's all doable in JS at good enough perf. Reality is not there yet and
won't be for years. Ask around inside Google :-P.