It isn't in the past though, it is scheduled to be run as soon as
possible past a certain point. That being said `as soon as possible`
may not be in a particular order (os schedulers / threads / event
listeners in js for example). I view this close to even listeners in
the respect that schedule of events cannot be determined. While it may
appear to be logical to have events FIFO based upon maxage, most other
systems besides a simple manual iteration of a set do not follow this.
I don't schedule events in a particular order because I have never
encountered a situation where I would want 2 timers where I couldn't
schedule the 2nd one that depends upon the first, after the first. Is
there a situation where it makes sense to have

setTimeout(f,10)
setTimeout(g,20)

where g depends f instead of:

setTimeout(function(){
  f();
  setTimeout(g,10);
},10)

Which is more verbose, but far clearer on intention.

1. This allows for the linear fashion that people may desire, without
causing limiting behavior on the scheduler.
2. This is much more clear that g should fire 10milliseconds after f
rather than possibly immediately after f (which presumably is what the
example wants).
3. It encourages less `magic` in how things are scheduled.
Expectations of manipulation are lowered and code design is encouraged
over engine implementation.

The fact that you say an order should be honored is a bit misleading
for 2 facts.

1. I would expect g to fire 10ms after f, but it may fire immediately.
2. By design it separates the dependent functions f and g so I have no
reason seeing that code to expect g to rely on f.

So while you may see this as being an expectation of FIFO based upon
max age, I merely see it as after x milliseconds something should be
fired, nothing more, no magic.