From: es-discuss-boun...@mozilla.org [mailto:es-discuss-boun...@mozilla.org] On
Behalf Of Phillips, Addison
Sent: Poʻalima, Malaki 25, 2011 10:53 AM
To: Nebojša Ćirić; es-discuss@mozilla.org
Subject: RE: Summary of i18n ad hoc group meeting - 21st March 2011

Hi Nebojša,

Some comments follow.

1.       “Use Unicode identifier vs. BCP47 in the API” It isn’t clear what you
mean by this. I would strongly prefer that we use BCP 47 identifiers. If you
mean “allow the Unicode locales extension to BCP 47”, I’m fine, but I don’t see
why we would want to use the older LDML identifiers at all.

2.       For Collator, I’d like an option “ignoreSpaces”. I know that the
default implementation of ICU’s collator ignores spaces, but I have a number of
real-world cases in which I want the opposite behavior (in which I tailor my
collator using rules).

Particularly important to me is the sorting of book titles. If I have two
strings: “The New Fishing Bible” and “The Newer Fishing Bible”, I want to sort
them in the order given, but most collators ignore spaces (comparing the second
‘e’ in Newer to the ‘F’ in Fishing). So I want the option of making whitespace
meaningful for collation.

Since most implementations are similar to ICU, though, maybe this would be the
one “strange” option (“compareWhitespace”???)

3.       “Start with ICU patterns and see if they work for everybody” I support
establishing the pattern language early on. I need to be able to use Message,
Choice, and Plural formatters and it’s all too common to need to specify
particular patterns in those cases (for substitutions), not to mention direct
usage in number and date formatters. The symbols used by ICU/CLDR are common
enough and, if incomplete for a given implementers needs (Microsoft?), could be
appropriately extended. Since these symbols are also used by Java, PHP, and
some other languages, it would be unsurprising to use them in ECMAScript.

4.       “Allow short/long dateType to get value from the system or cloud” I’m
not sure I understand this one. Was this the part of the conversation in which
we allowed the pattern to be garnered either from the system (e.g. the Regional
Options control panel on Windows) or from the implementation??

Addison

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect (Lab126)
Chair (W3C I18N WG)