On Apr 9, 2011, at 1:33 AM, Peter van der Zee wrote:

> Can we remove labels from the next version of the spec?

Ok, this thread has not been a complete waste, but I'm going to suggest,
strongly, we not start "let's remove feature X" threads. We are being careful
about migration tax. I've written about counting the backward-compatibility
breaks on five fingers, and four out of five must break via early
(compile-time) errors. (The current exception is typeof null == "null".)

Removing labels just taxes well-written code, requiring a pointless rewrite
using flag variables or worse. It also would break all the accidental labels of
the form javascript:... that have leaped across the URL / script source barrier.

As Dave says, we're not going to go on random "I want to remove feature X
because some have misused it" snipe hunts. (BTW, that is not why 'with' was
removed from ES5 strict mode.)